Mother Forced to Listen as Son Is Beaten to Death in Gqeberha Home — Father and Brother Arrested

A Gqeberha mother, Nombayiselo Gatshu, says she was forced to listen in horror as her son was allegedly beaten to death inside their home in New Brighton after being wrongly accused of stealing money.

The victim, 30-year-old Siyabulela Gatshu, was allegedly assaulted during the night by his father and younger brother, following a dispute over a missing sum of just over R2,000.

Police confirmed that Siyabulela was later taken to Dora Nginza Hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival due to severe injuries.

Violence escalated over missing money

According to Gatshu, the incident began when one of Siyabulela’s brothers accused him of taking the missing money. Tensions escalated when accusations turned into violence inside the home.

She alleges that the younger brother first confronted Siyabulela, before their father joined in after returning home and became involved in the assault.

“They were shouting, saying Siyabulela was a thief. They hit him all over, even with a stone,” she said.

Gatshu says she tried to intervene but was also allegedly assaulted and prevented from helping her son.

“They hit me in the neck with a big stone and chased me away. I could not get near him,” she said.

Victim left on the floor through the night

She alleges Siyabulela was left lying on the cold cement floor, bleeding, with his father refusing to give him a blanket or allow assistance.

Throughout the night, she says she heard him crying out for help.

By the early hours of Monday, Gatshu says she managed to escape and call for help. When she returned with relatives, it was already too late.

Police confirm murder case

Police spokesperson Captain Andre Beetge confirmed that Siyabulela died as a result of blunt force trauma injuries sustained during the assault.

“A murder case was opened and is being investigated by New Brighton police,” Beetge said.

He confirmed that the father and brother have been arrested and are expected to appear before the New Brighton Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

Family left devastated

When visited on Tuesday, the family home remained in disarray, with visible signs of the violent altercation still present.

Gatshu said she is struggling to come to terms with the tragedy, adding that the situation escalated over what later turned out to be a misunderstanding, as the missing money was allegedly found hidden under a mattress.

She described her son as troubled in the past but said he had been trying to rebuild his life and had recently embraced faith.

“He was my child. No matter what he had done, I loved him,” she said.

Police investigations are continuing.

Share this article

Scroll to Top