President Cyril Ramaphosa says he is unfazed by US President Donald Trump’s recent comments about South Africa and insists he is not “losing sleep” over the strained diplomatic tone.
This comes after Trump stated earlier this week that South Africa would not be invited to this month’s G20 Sherpa meeting. In November, Trump also skipped the G20 Leaders’ Summit in Johannesburg, claiming there was “genocide” against white Afrikaners in the country — a statement widely dismissed as false.
Speaking to SABC News on Thursday, Ramaphosa said he remained unconcerned about Trump’s conduct toward South Africa, adding that the US president was being misled.
| “I have no sleepless nights. All we want, really, as SA is to be treated as an equal sovereign country. A country that respects other countries, a country that fosters the success and prosperity of other countries.”
Ramaphosa emphasised that South Africa seeks constructive, respectful international relationships.
| “We wish no country ill in the world, and in fact, as a country, we have no enemies; we only have friends and we want to advance the friendship relationships with all countries in the world.”
He added that South Africa would not retaliate with harsh rhetoric.
| “We will never be derogatory against any country, any leader in the world. We will always treat any country with due regard, with respect and great consideration.”
The President’s remarks come amid rising diplomatic tensions following Trump’s repeated comments about South Africa’s internal affairs.












